Pages

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Week 4: MEDIA

This week is the week I failed big time.  Last summer we did a technology fast you can read about that here - technology fast.  We spent an entire month as a family with not watching tv or using electronics.  It was a long but good month.  I was sure this week would be no big deal - I was wrong.  My plan for the fast was to not use the internet at all for one week.  I let my friends and family know that they would need to call/text me if they needed anything that week. 



I started out the first day doing great.  I didn't get online at all.  The second day I woke up to 233 emails on my phone.  The vast number terrified me.  I logged on to made sure I wasn't missing anything important.  It was a good thing I did.  I had a reminder from the library I had 70 books due tomorrow.  I can't image what that fine would have been if I would have read that email a week later. The third day I realized I needed to get ahold of a childhood friend that was in town.  The only way we had been communicating was through Facebook.  I logged on to send her a message.  That turned into scrolling Facebook without even realizing what I was doing.   I didn't keep track of daily failures after that.  They were many!   Here are the things I learned this week:

1.  My children ask me to google things all day long!
2.  I have so much junk email!
3.  Facebook messenger is the only way I communicate with a lot of people!
4.  I use Pinterest to release stress.
5.  I spend way more time on the computer than I do with God!

This week was a real eye opener for me.  I really do have a problem.  I use the computer to ease my stress.   I don't necessarily always think that is a bad thing.  I just need to find a healthy balance.   So moving forward I have set some new rules for myself. 

1.  No computer time before Bible time.
2.  Only get on before the kids are up and after school is finished.
3.  I have unsubscribed to several email lists.
4.  Considering deleting the Facebook app from my phone.

I know this isn't a problem for everyone.  I have several friends who don't even have a Facebook account.  I would love to know how you balance the media in your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31