Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2012

My quirky grandma!

Since it is Grandparents day I thought I would write a little about my wonderful grandparents.  As I sat down to write this post hours ago my grandmother called.  She had something really cool to show the kids.  It was just south of the house and we needed to come down.  So once everyone was up from naps, we went over to Great Grandma's house.   I forgot my camera so no great pictures of what we saw.  But she had puff balls!  Here is a link in case you are not familiar with them.  She has 6 growing in the woods.  She had never seen that many before and was really excited about it.  She let the boys pick two to bring home.



Here is one of the many things I love about my grandma.  She is always teaching us things.  She has always been a hands on kind of person.  If you ever wanted to learn to do something she would teach you or find some one that could.  She continues to teach her great grand kids things.   We have made butter, home made noodles and baked apples with grandma.  In the woods she has painted on my kids with blood root, looked for deer tracks and taught them how to identify different trees. 

Growing up I always knew my grandma was little different, but it wasn't until I was an adult, that I truly understood how different my relationship with my grandparents was from everyone else.  See, I grew up around the corner from my grandparents.  We spent every Sunday dinner eating at their house and playing with my cousins.  My grandparents had us spend the night on a regular basis.  They hauled us to every festival within a 60 mile radius.   We spent many afternoons at auctions, bidding on items they would buy.  They attended every chorus concert, track meet, football, and basketball game my brothers and I were in.  They were actively involved in my life growing up.  I thought this was how everyone grew up.  I didn't know anything else.  I feel so blessed to not only have had them around, but now my children are building a relationship too!

So even though my grandma has always been quirky and  sometimes really embarrassing, I look forward to the day that I can be a grandma just like her!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31