Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2017

The 6th Love Language

If you have ever talked to me about relationships I have more than likely mentioned this book. 
 I read it before Trevor and I got married.  We have gone through it twice in a small group setting since then.  It really helps you see how you express love and how you need to receive it.  It also makes you look at your spouse from a different point of view.  If you don't have time to read the book you can take the quiz HERE to figure out what your love language is.   If you're unfamiliar with the 5 love languages they are words of affirmation, receiving gifts, acts of service, physical touch and quality time.   

I've talked to more than one person who agree with me that one love language is missing from this list.  FOOD!  Gary Chapman would probably say it falls under the receiving gifts category but I'm not convinced.  I mean we have all heard the old saying, "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach."   In my family food is huge.  I do not leave a family event without someone giving me food. 

One of my kids favorite family traditions involves food.  The year Asher was born my dad was pretty upset that I didn't let my kids eat much junk food.  For Christmas he gave them all a small box of processed food we never buy.  My kids thought it was the best gift ever.   Over the years this has evolved into "the box".   My dad fills up a large box with all sorts of food for the kids.   This year he kept telling them he was only giving them coal.  He wrapped up a large box with only coal candy in it.
They didn't believe him.  Josiah's face says it all.    This years box was huge! 
Asher is standing up in the box.  It was full to the top with food!
This year my dad added coolers to the box.  You can see Eliana's excitement over the crab legs.  He also gave them steak, shrimp and hamburger.  His comment to me was, "See, I don't always buy junk."

This is everything in the box, minus the freezer food.  We won't be buying snack food for weeks!  What my dad started as a joke has turned into my kids favorite gift.  They have started telling grandpa what they want in the food box.  It is also a huge blessing to our family.  So Mr. Chapman may not say it's a love language but in my family it is.

What strange family traditions does your family have?  

Do you know what your love language is?  Do you know what your spouses love language is?  If you don't please take the quiz at the beginning of this post.  It can change your marriage.   I feel loved if you hug me.  Can you figure out what my love language is? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31