Pages

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Our YES day!

A few months ago I read a blog post about how a mom had answered all of her kids questions for the day with a yes.  I wish I could find the link for the post, because she explained it so much better than me.   Originally, I thought the woman was crazy.  I kept it in the back of my mind thinking maybe we could give it a try,  then Jeremiah convinced me.   He started saying, "I know you are going to say no, but can I do ......"  It was a wake up call for me.   I obviously say no way more than I say yes.

 Here are a few things that happened on our yes day.

1.  The kids had cold pizza for breakfast.

2.  PBS kids was on ALL day.

3.  We made homemade popsicles.

4.  I played a board game with the Asher & Eliana.

5.  The twins used the toaster oven alone.


That is only a few things that happened during our day.

 Here is what I learned: 

1.  We have done a good job of training our children chores come first.  Jeremiah asked several times that day if he cleaned his room could he play xbox all day.  He never finished his room, but kept asking.

2.  Loosing up is not the end of the world.  I actually got a lot done around the house.  There was no arguing or whining.  A few times I even got told I was the best mom ever!

3.  I control our food consumption.  When I looked back over my list of what I had said yes to.  Over half of the list involves food.  My kids snacked all day!   We have a pretty rigid eating schedule.   Still processing if they were really hungry all day or just bored and wanted to snack.

4.  The only PBS show Asher had ever seen was Sesame Street.   Being the baby means your siblings didn't want to watch "baby" shows.  It was fun to watch him watch TV.   I may be using PBS as a way to keep Asher busy during the twins phonics lessons this school year!

5. My kids really just want me to BE with them.  They were just as happy to have me sit on the couch and watch Daniel Tigers Neighborhood with them as they were to play a board game. 

Over all I would call the day a success.  It is not how things will go everyday, but once a month, a yes day maybe added to our schedule.

So what about you?  Are you like me and say no way more than you say yes?  Would you be willing to try a yes day experiment?   If you do let me know I would love to hear about it!

1 comment:

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31