Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Home School Newbies


A few weeks ago we had our first parent meeting for our local home schooling group.  I met lots of first year home schoolers.  They were full of questions and wanted lots of advice.  It is hard for me to step into that role.  I still have no idea what I am doing most of the time.  This year we are embarking on our 4th year of home schooling.


That sounds crazy even as I type it!  The way that new homeschoolers  perceive me reminded me of my first years of marriage.  I vividly remember sitting in Steak & Shake with a couple from church we had just met.  Trev and I had been married only a few weeks.  They had been married 2 years and were expecting their first child.   I remember thinking we can't be friends - they have all this marriage stuff figured out.  As I approached my second anniversary I realized how crazy a thought that had been.  I had wasted years of what would have been a wonderful friendship, because I thought they had it all figured out already.

So I compare this to homeschooling - 4 years later - I still don't have it figured out.  I have learned some things, but still have lots to learn.  I am happy to share my experience with others.  I am thrilled that others have followed God's calling and are teaching their children at home. 

So if you are new to homeschooling- please do not be intimidated by us that have been at it awhile.  Ask questions, seek advice, we may not always have an answer but we are willing to listen.  We have all been there, that first year for me was the scariest.  For those of you that have been doing this longer than me - please share your experiences with us!

This all reminds me of one of my favorite pieces of Scripture:
Titus 2:3-5
Likewise, teach the older woman to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanders or addicted to much wine, but teach what is good.  Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.


Yesterday our local paper wrote on article on homeschooling and featured our support group.  Here is the link to that article.  Eliana is in a few of the pictures.  She was pretty excited to see herself in the paper.  Her 2nd comment was, "Why are Nathan and Luke's pictures bigger?"


If you are local here is the link to the home schooling group I am a part of ECIHEN.  It is a great way to connect to other families in your area.  There is a  mom in the group that has a heart for 1st year home schoolers. If you are a first year homeschooler I encourage you to check out her blog: blairfamilyschool

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31