Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Day Camp: Mom's View

This week Eliana is attending our local day camp for Girl Scouts.  We signed her up several months ago and she has been looking forward to it ever since.  We decided to try a day camp before we tried an over night camp.  Next year she will be old enough to attend church camp, and we thought this would be a good way to get her feet wet.   I  hesitate to tell you my side of the story, but the last two books I have read have been about being real so here is me being REAL.

Monday:


The camp is held at a state park just 5 minutes from our house.  This morning Eliana was nervous.  We knew the only 2 girls she knows in Girl Scouts were not attending camp.  Her being nervous made me nervous.  I had to hold it together to keep her calm.  I have to sign her in and out.  While signing her in I realized that most of the girls were several years older than her.  This was not something I expected.  When I was a girl scout, by 5th grade everyone had pretty much quit.  There were only 5 or 6 other 2nd graders on the list.   So she went and sat at the picnic table alone, said she was fine and I left her.  I made it all the way to Charleston before I lost it.  I called Trevor in tears.   I had just left my most precious gift with complete strangers - ALONE!   In his wisdom he reminded me she would be ok for one day.  If she had a terrible time she didn't have to go back.  Oh - how I love that man!

Guess what - she had the time of her life.  Her buddy for the day was a girl she took swim lessons with last summer.  She is also in her new Girl Scout troop.  Another friend (also a homeschooler)  showed up later.   The two things she kept talking about when she got home were how she doesn't know the Pledge of Allegiance.  (Yes- homeschool mom fail - I haven't taught her that) & what she had for lunch.




Tomorrow she gets to go the pool for the afternoon.  She is really excited about it.  I on the other hand have a whole new set of fears!

2 comments:

  1. I saw Eliana at the pool today and she was all smiles :o) I am so glad that she is having a good time and enjoying camp! My neighbor, Heather, is helping out with that... I know there are some great ladies involved. I can't imagine how hard it was to drop her off yesterday-- those are the Mom moments that are the toughest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cried everyday on the way home from dropping Racheal off to kindergarten. Every. Day. No exaggeration. Kudos dear friend, you made it through the first one! Love you girl! And SO glad Eliana had such a terrific time! She's a great girl :)

    ~Shawna

    ReplyDelete

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31