Pages

Thursday, March 5, 2020

What's in my Morning Time Basket?

I recently had a conversation with our librarian about homeschooling.   He was a little shocked to hear what our day looks like.  He couldn't believe I spend at least 2 hours a day reading out loud to me kids.  I know that is not common but it's what works for us.   I thought I would give you a look at how we start our mornings and why I read so much!

We start with all 4 kids at the kitchen table with this basket.



We memorize a scripture each day and sing a hymn.  This hymnal was my grandmother's and is falling apart.



We then read several picture books.  I have this book shelf loaded with seasonal books or books that go along with our history or science lesson.  The kids each pick a book or two to read.  I don't always read these out loud some times they take turns reading to everyone.



We then do our history and science lesson.  These can take awhile depending on the activity that goes along with what we are reading.



Then I read our current chapter book or we listen to it on audio.



We then play a few rounds of Professor Noggins.  It really is just a trivia game.  We spend two months on one subject then move onto another subject.  So far this year we have done American History, Earth Science, Countries of the World, and Art.




Once a week we do a picture study.  This is our current one by Simply Charlotte Mason.



Then Eliana leaves the table and I do spelling and grammar with all 3 boys.



That is how we start our day!  To see what the entire day  currently looks like  you read this POST!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31