Pages

Monday, July 9, 2018

March 2018 Books

Books I Read for Book Club: 

Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly


It was my turn to pick a book for our monthly book club.  I picked Lilac Girls because we were studying WWII at the time.  The story was fascinating.  It dealt with 3 women in 3 different countries during the war.   Like most historical novels it taught me about things I had never heard before.  The chapters about the concentration camps were a little to detailed for me.  Be warned if you can't handle graphic medical procedures don't read this book.  


Becoming Mom Strong by Heidi St. John


Our Homeschool support group did a book club this month.  We read a few chapters each week then discussed it online together.  It's a great way to do a book club if you don't have time to meet on a regular basis.  I love Heidi.  I have heard her speak several times.  I loved her book,  The Busy Homeschool Mom's Guide to Romance.  I also do her scripture writing each morning.  This book was not my favorite. I didn't walk  away with any really strong convictions for major ways I need to change my life,  others in our group did.   It may just be I didn't need this book during this season. 


For my Modern Mrs. Darcy Challenge:


A book I could finish in a day! 

Reading People by Anne Bogel (Modern Mrs. Darcy)

I could not get through this book fast enough.  If people fascinate you - read this book.  She deals with personality styles.  She talks about all the different ways to define who you are,  your love language, your Briggs Myers style and Ennergram.  It was a quick read and doesn't have to be read cover to cover.  It will be making a permanent place on my book shelf. 

Read Alouds with the Kids:

Plot to Kill Hitler Dietrich Bonhoeffer:  Pastor, Spy, Unlikely Hero by Patricia McCormick


The kids and I really enjoyed this book.  Since we had just finished studying WWII it fit nicely into our history lessons.  I didn't know a lot about Bonhoeffer.  I learned as much if not more than the children. 

Who Is Mother Theresa?   By Jim Gigliotti


The kids love the Who Was book series.  I like that they have lots of information.  It's a great series for my non - fiction reading kid.  I'm not sure that all of the information in this book is correct. We are going to fact check a few things that were said about Mother Teresa's character.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31