Pages

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Book Baskets & Our Read Alouds

This year rather than making a book list for each of my kids I'm taking a different approach.



In the past we have done book lists, book reports, comprehension tests, and have read through lists together.  As I started to compile a list for all of the kids I realized it was going to take me awhile.  I can't reuse old lists from the older siblings because they are all reading at different levels at different ages.    What I really want is for my kids to love reading.  I also want them to read great books.  We have practiced 30 minute reading in the past, it has always been books they choose to read on their own.   My book basket idea was born out of this.  Here is what we are doing.

All 3 big kids have a basket full of books.  These books have been hand picked by me.  There are some school books, some fun read books, and books from our shelves at home I think they will like.  Each basket has a timer in it.  Whenever they have some free time during the day they are to pick a book from their basket and read for 30 minutes.   Once they finish the book they are to bring it to me.   This year I am keeping a list of all the books they read.  Some books they will easily be able to finish in 30 minutes; others will take a couple of days.  Every week I'll update the basket with new books.   I'm hoping this will give them each some freedom to pick a book they would like to read but also be reading something I have already approved of. 

We are also reading a book aloud a month as a family.  Here is that list:

Mary Poppins
Jungle Book
Winnie The Pooh
Mr Popper's Penguins
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
Black Beauty
Dr. Doolittle
The Tale of Peter Rabbit
Heidi

17/18 Lists
Curriculum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31