Pages

Saturday, December 5, 2015

My 7 year old can't read - Yet!

I have written this post many different ways then gone back and deleted it.  I have done that basically for 2 reasons. 

1.  I don't want to offend any of my friends with gifted children.  I know that comes with it's own set of challenges - but this post isn't for you. 

2.  I don't want my public school/teacher friends telling me I'm screwing up my child by keeping him home. 
We kept him at grade level so he is the same grade as his twin.  He is not doing any work that is 2nd grade equivalent.


So why now - after months of writing and deleting  why am I hitting post?  Last week Jeremiah realized that not being able to read yet made him different.  Basically he got made fun of.   If you talk to me on a regular basis you know the struggles I have been through with homeschooling Jeremiah.  Like many students he has a learning difference that makes it difficult for him to learn the traditional way. Does it mean he can't learn?  No - it just means I have to change the way I teach!  It also means there is no set time for him to learn things.  One of the great things about homeschooling is we are not on a schedule - we don't have to learn to read at 5, learn multiplication in 3rd grade, or learn our state capitals in 4th grade.   My kids learn at the rate that is best for them.  

I talk to so many parents just like me.  They have a struggling learner and they think they are all alone.  Having gifted children is something that is talked about a lot in the homeschooling community.  Having a child that struggles is a secret we try to keep hidden.   This post is to let you know you are not alone.  Am I worried that Jeremiah won't learn to read?  Some days absolutely!  Most days I just remind myself God made us all different.  We are all created for different things.   We learn at a different rate and that is ok.  The best thing I can do for Jeremiah is to remind him of that. 

Do you have a struggling learner?  Do you need some encouragement?  I have a couple of great resources I would love to pass along to you.  Send me an email and I'll be happy to share!
Tbs7100@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31