Pages

Monday, September 1, 2014

The Cake Disaster!

"I just want it to be perfect".  Those are the words that came out of my mouth before going to bed the night before Asher's birthday party.   If you know me at all, you know I really enjoy planning theme parties.   Trevor can't understand it and honestly I don't either.  I just really enjoy the planning, baking and decorating that go into a party.  So as you can imagine I had spent most of the day getting ready for the party. 

If I'm completely honest I really want everything in my life to be perfect - including myself.   I know I am far from it, but I still fight with my human nature to be the best at whatever I do.  According to Dr. Kevin Leman, in First Born Advantage,  it is a pretty common trait among firstborns.   I digress - back to the party. 

All Asher wanted for his Captain America party was a cake with a shield on it and a yogurt bar.   Everything was going just as planned until I started to smell burning plastic.  I walked through the kitchen a couple of times, before I remembered what I had done.  I put the finished cake in the oven to protect it from the boys the night before.  For lunch I had turned the oven on to cook a pizza.  I forgot to take the cake out.  I opened the oven to find this:





An entire afternoon of hard work was melting in my oven.   I lay crying on the floor, to soon be joined by my children.  Jeremiah, who is always so concerned when someone is upset, tried to console me telling me he was sure we could fix it.   Luckily, Trevor was home and saved the day.  You can order a cake from Walmart - personalized - only a few hours before you need it!  I had no idea.

As the day progressed,  I calmed down and Asher had a great party.  I kept remembering how I said, " I just wanted it to be perfect".   This scripture kept coming to mind. 

But he said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weakness, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 
2 Corinthians 12:9-10
\
Ok, so messing up a cake is not really a weakness - but sharing that I screwed up is.    So Asher's 4th birthday will always be remembered as the year mom melted the cake.  Trevor keeps telling me someday I will laugh about it.   It will always serve as a good reminder that sharing my weakness is not a bad thing and that I should be more vulnerable to others.  I found this quote on Pinterest and I thought it was perfect!

1 comment:

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31