Pages

Friday, August 9, 2013

Teacher Institute 2013

This  year I decided I needed a planning day before school started.  I was beginning to feel a little overwhelmed with teaching 4!  Our library has these awesome study rooms that you are able to reserve for free!  So I packed up all my stuff, and spent the day at the library.
I looked like a pack mule.  I had all of this plus the laptop and my purse.

When you are an eclectic homeschooler like me with multiple children it means you have quite a few books.  Here is what it looked like once I got it all out. 

It was great to be able to think and not get interrupted every few minutes.   I got most of Eliana's lessons roughly planned for the first 5 weeks of school.  Her math program requires a pre-test before you start and I forgot to have her take it.   We are using several new curricula this year.  I spent a large part of the day just reading and getting familiar with them.   I worked out which subjects need taught each day, a few days a week, or only once a week.  Since I am a list maker,  I made lists of the supplies we needed for each curriculum, and a list of books I still needed to purchase.   I also planned chore charts for a month at a time, my weekly cleaning schedule, and our school goals for the year.  Over all I got a ton done and will be making this a yearly tradition.

Here are a few things I will do differently for next year.

Do two half days instead of one long day.   I got a lot done but by the end of the day my brain was fried.  I think being able to work two different mornings would work better for me.

Wear socks - the library is always cold.  I took a sweatshirt but didn't think about my feet.  I wore flip flops and my feet were ice cubes.

Bring the following - dry erase makers (there was a board in the room), paper clips, post-it notes and a calculator.

If you would like to know what curriculum I am using you can see the link  HERE

2 comments:

  1. This a great idea! I definitely want to start doing this. I still have time to pick a planning day for this school year. It sounds like you have a great productive school year planned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT IDEA!!! I like your suggestions. (Now that you shared it, you may have to reserve the room far in advance! Others are going to do the same thing!)

    ReplyDelete

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31