Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Fort LaMotte Days

They all look like they are having fun, don't they?

Early in the year we were learning about forts.  I became obsessed with finding a fort to visit.  After a trip to Lincoln Log cabin and a conversation with an interpreter, I found out about Fort LaMotte.  It is located in Palestine, Illinois.  This was the 4th year for the weekend of events.  My mom and I took the kids on Sunday.  The fort was much smaller than I expected.  If you live in Illinois I would not recommend going to the fort except on this special weekend.  Eliana was really excited about seeing the canon fire.

She decided that once she did see it, it was to loud and she didn't like it.  The boys were looking forward to the fighting.

 The boys thought the Indian dancing was funny.  The fort was surrounded with craftsmen.  We saw a pewter maker, a gun collector, a quilter and a grouchy surveyor.  There were many more.  The kids favorite part was the period games.  They had a whole tent with games for the kids to play. Eliana even got my mom involved.

The day ended with the van battery being dead.  Had I not been so stressed out I should have taken a picture of the nice militia men who jumped my car for me.  But getting home was the only thing on my mind.  Over all a good day, the rain stayed away.  This is not an event I would take the kids to each year, it is just not big enough.   I am curious to see how the school day trip goes next year. 

Playing a marble version of tic tac toe
Asher wanted to play too
Bowling

The magician
Showing us how she uses her loom

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting about the positives and negatives of the day. I appreciate you sharing that it isn't worth a long drive. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31