Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Tapping Trees with Grandpa!

This year in school we are studying the Laura Ingalls Wilder series.  Last fall, the books talked about making your own maple syrup.  Eliana really wanted to try it.  She didn't understand why we couldn't do it in the fall.  She informed grandpa that come spring she wanted to learn how to make her own syrup.  Well, my dad didn't forget.  Last week he told her I'll be coming over this week and we will go tap some trees.  One thing my dad has always been really good about was teaching us how to do things.  As a girl, I learned how to change a tire and my oil.  I know how to bait my own hook & take a fish off.  I also know how to make maple syrup.  I'll be honest none of these are things I really enjoy.  But I do like the fact that I can say my dad taught me how to do it.  Trust me, as a teenager I did not enjoy learning how to change a tire.  But now as an adult I am amazed at how many people don't know how to do it.


So here is the beginning process of making syrup.  When we get to the next step,  I'll take some pictures and show you how it goes.

First you have to clean the buckets!
Then you head to the woods and start drilling the trees.

Now you put in the pipe
Time to wrap on the wire to hold the bucket to the tree

Now you wait & let God do his thing.

1 comment:

  1. This is so great! What fun memories! We went to a "sugarin' camp" a couple years ago near Greenup I think! The kids had a blast helping! They really enjoyed "drinking" the sap as it ran out.

    ~Shawna

    ReplyDelete

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31