Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

The witching hour

You all know what hour that is.  The hour before dinner time when everyone is hungry, crabby & tired.  I  try to avoid this combination by having a dinner plan.  Last night that didn't happen.  We have just started back to school this week.  I am still trying to get back on a schedule.  I realized at about 4:30 I had no idea what I was fixing for dinner.  So I went to the freezer to see what I could possibly fix.  I prefer following recipes - last night that was not an option.  I settled on chili.   

Now let me tell you a little back story about chili.  For almost 12 years I have tried recipe, after recipe, after recipe.  Not one has been a keeper.  So rather than follow a recipe I used what we had on hand.  Here is what I came up with:

1/2 Lb ground venison                                                                
1 small onion diced
3 large cloves of garlic diced
1 Quart of tomato juice
1 cup tomato sauce
2 cups chicken broth
4 beef bullion cubes
1/4 cup chili powder
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon oregano
2 Teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon basil, pepper, sugar
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons hot sauce
2 handfuls of green chiles
16 oz can kidney beans

I browned the venison with the onion and garlic.  I then added the chicken broth, bullion cubes, tomato juice & tomato sauce.  I let this simmer for about 15 minutes.  I then added the spices, chiles and beans.  I let it cook for another 15 minutes, then served with cheese, crackers, and sour cream.

I now have a keeper!  Trevor loved it.  The kids thought it was too hot.  Next time I'll put the chiles in after I have served up theirs. Now if I can just find a go to recipe for spaghetti sauce I will be in good shape.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! I will have to give it a try but only with ground beef because I am not lucky enough to have a Justin! :)

    ReplyDelete

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31